LOOKING FOR INSPIRATION?
SUBMIT YOUR PROPOSAL
HERE'S HOW IT WORKS
Submit your application form below and follow all the listed instructions. The more thoughtful your
application can be, the better chance you have at making it a reality.
The editors at Cool Hunting™ and Gear Patrol will then review all submissions. A selection of promising applications will be shared
via social media in order to avoid duplicate submissions and offer insights into the types of initiatives we’re looking to support.
Five finalists will be selected on 1/18/2017.
Finalists will be asked for further details and information before we determine the eventual recipient of
the first #LiveThemAward on 1/30/2017.
The chosen awardee will receive a $10,000 stipend for costs associated with their efforts and for capturing
and sharing their story on Cool Hunting™ and Gear Patrol as a guest contributor.
We asked several of our staff members to share how they’d put the #LiveThem Award to good use to further one of their many interests. Unfortunately for them, but lucky for you, all of our team members are ineligible from winning—but we figured sharing their projects might at least help spark your own imagination.
Click here for Terms and Conditions
Name: David Graver
What I Do: I’m the Senior Editor at COOL HUNTING™, as well as a writer and lover of mixology.
My Proposal: Editing and honing the words of others, I leave my own ambitions as a novelist to evenings and weekends. I’ve often wondered just how much I could accomplish as a writer if I could take a sabbatical to a cabin in Maine or an apartment in San Sebastian or Edinburgh to focus solely on my writing, and ideally complete my novel.
The #LiveThemAward would help fund my extended time off from work as well as my travel expense—and, hopefully, the costs associated with turning my drafted novel into a full-fledged manuscript that I can show to a publisher.
But if you’re anything like us, or iconic cognac maker Rémy Martin®, you know that true fulfillment comes from more than just one element of your work or personal life. It’s about the rich combination of experiences that come from pursuing your many interests and talents simultaneously, to the best of your ability.
That’s why we’ve partnered together, along with famed design publication
COOL HUNTING™, to launch the first-ever #LiveThem Award™, which, like
Rémy Martin®’s harmoniously blended cognacs, celebrates the belief that fulfillment
in life is about embracing your many talents rather than just one.
The award includes a $10,000* stipend to help one driven individual start 2017 off the right way, covering some of the costs associated with supporting, documenting and sharing the process of taking one of their many personal talents to an entirely new level.
Name: Evan Orensten
What I Do: I’m the co-founder of COOL HUNTING™, as
well as an amateur product designer, cook, collector of
art and watches.
My Proposal: Professionally I’ve always bridged the creative and marketing worlds. Increasingly I’ve found myself enjoying the creative side more and more, and over the years have helped create dozens of products at COOL HUNTING. If I had the opportunity to develop my design skills further it’s something I would love to do.
The #LiveThemAward would help me further develop my technical skills and kit out my studio.
GEAR PATROL REMY MARTIN® COOL HUNTING™
With the First-Ever $10,000 #LiveThem Award
“WHAT DO YOU DO?” IT’S THE CLASSIC, EXPANSIVE ICEBREAKER
WE’RE ALL CONDITIONED TO ANSWER IN A SENTENCE OR LESS.
A CONNECTION 50 YEARS IN THE MAKING
THAT BOOK I’VE BEEN WORKING ON
Name: Ben Bowers
What I Do: I’m the co-founder and managing editor of Gear Patrol, as well as an amateur DJ, traveler and photographer.
My Proposal: After my father passed away, I discovered a box in the attic filled with hundreds of photographic slides, negatives, prints, and handwritten notes roughly describing the scenes that he captured during his travels in Vietnam in the early ‘50s. The camera he used was also inside the box. Ever since I discovered these beautiful images, I’ve wanted to enhance my knowledge of film photography by retracing my dad’s steps in Vietnam, using his old film camera to capture the changes of the country through my own eyes.
The #LiveThemAward award would help fund my travel expenses and supplies associated with the journey. If all went well, the stipend could also help support printing my photos to display alongside my dad’s as part of a local gallery show.
Name: Andrew Haynes
What I Do: I’m the creative director of Gear Patrol, as well as an avid golfer and experienced grill master.
My Proposal: I’ve spent years earning my reputation as grill master of sorts with my neighbors, colleagues and friends. But I’ve long thought of taking on a new culinary challenge, renowned for producing meat so tender, it puts even the work of the best grilling savants to shame: sous vide. I’d like to study the French art of under-vacuum cooking under the tutelage of an expert, Chef Hervé Malivert, who is the Director of Food Technology and Culinary Coordinator at the International Culinary Center, with the idea of applying the skills I learn from this technique back to the grill.
The #LiveThem award would help fund the costs of my class, as well as the entry and travel fees associated with my ultimate goal — winning the famed Memphis in May BBQ competition.
BESTING AMERICAN BARBECUE WITH THE HELP OF FRENCH EXPERTISE
DESIGNING THE FUTURE
GEAR PATROL REMY MARTIN® COOL HUNTING™
1. The 2016 #LIVETHEM Award. The 2016 #LIVETHEM Award™ (or "the Award") is presented by Rémy Cointreau USA, Inc., d/b/a Rémy Martin®, with offices located at 1290 Avenue of the Americas, New York, NY 10104 (Rémy Martin®"), and conducted by Gear Patrol LLC, a New York Limited Liability Corporation with offices located at 9 West 31st Street, Suite #22A New York NY 10001("Gear Patrol"), and Captain Lucas, Inc., d/b/a Cool Hunting, a New York corporation with offices located at 19 West 21st Street, Suite 702, New York, NY 10010 (“Cool Hunting”).
2. Eligibility. Only legal residents of the United States who are at least 21 years old as of the date of their submission are eligible to apply for the #LIVETHEM Award. Employees of Gear Patrol®, Cool Hunting™ or Rémy Martin®, or of their respective affiliates, subsidiaries, advertising and promotion agencies, suppliers, and the immediate family members and/or those living in the same household of each are not eligible to participate. The #LIVETHEM Award is subject to all applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations, and is void where prohibited.
3. How to Apply. You may enter only once. Applications will be accepted online starting on or about November 28, 2016. Your completed application must be submitted using the online form provided on the #LIVETHEM Award™ web site and received by 11:59 EST on December 31, 2016. Your application must meet all requirements to be considered. All submitted materials become the property of Gear Patrol and will not be returned, absent special arrangements, which will be made only upon Your written request and in Gear Patrol's sole discretion.
4. Your Proposal. The #LIVETHEM Award™ is not a contest or a sweepstakes, but a search for one individual (the "Recipient") who, if provided a $10,000 stipend, will successfully pursue, capture and share a project proposed to grow or fulfill one of their life passions. Your proposal may involve any type of effort to improve or expand or further some aspect of your personal interests or talents, such as training, research opportunities, intense practice, building or completing something, purposeful travel, etc. (See the examples provided on the web site.) Selection of the finalists and the ultimate one Award and Stipend recipient (the "Recipient") will involve subjective judgments and decisions by the editors of Gear Patrol and Cool Hunting, with the advice of Rémy Martin® (the "Award Team"); the process will be conducted largely on a casting model. For example, in evaluating Your proposal and selecting the finalists and Recipient, the Award Team will consider not only how well the proposal embodies the #LIVETHEM platform of fulfillment coming from a pursuit of a multifaceted life, but also the feasibility of the You successfully completing the proposed project within the timeframe and budget, as well as its inspirational potential. The Stipend will be provided to subsidize the Recipient's costs to pursue the project, as well as related to capturing their story in a sharable form as inspiration for others; it will not necessarily cover all Your expenses, so consideration of a realistic budget and Your resources will be critical. In submitting Your proposal, remember that You will be responsible for all expenses related to fulfilling your #LIVETHEM Award project obligations as well as all costs related to Your submissions and efforts in seeking the Award. These costs and expenses include, but are not limited to, federal, state, and local taxes, any travel expenses, course fees, or medical clearances requested,
5. The Selection Process. Five applicants will first be selected by the Award Team, in its sole discretion. Team representatives will attempt to contact the finalists by email within five (5) days of their decision, but the Team will not be liable for any candidate's failure to receive notice. The Team may decide, in its discretion, to terminate consideration of a finalist who cannot be reached, fails to timely respond or provide the information and/or materials reasonably requested, or otherwise fails to comply with these Terms & Conditions. In this event, the decision whether to select among the remaining finalists or name an alternate shall be within the sole discretion of the Award Team.
6. Exploration and Investigation. In addition to exploring and discussing in detail the finalists' proposals with them, the Award Team will conduct a reasonable investigation of Your background if You are selected, taking into consideration the recognition and publicity provided by the #LIVETHEM AWARD, as well as diving deeper into the specifics of Your proposal. In the event that you are named a finalist, You agree to cooperate with all related information requests and to execute any documents requested by the Award Team for this purpose.
7. The Award. The finalist selected to receive the #LIVETHEM AWARD™, will be notified on or about January 30, 2017 of their selection as the potential Recipient, subject to the execution of the Personal Release and License, and any other required documentation. The Stipend will be disbursed in two payments: 50% will be delivered after approval of a detailed outline of initial expenses; the remaining 50% will be delivered upon completion of the project, including approval of the Recipient's captured story and/or photographic images. The Award and Stipend are non-transferable. In the sole discretion of the Award Team, a payment arrangement or variation requested by the Recipient may be granted. 8. Rights You Grant by Participating. By applying for the #LIVETHEM™ Award, you understand that if You are among the finalists, Gear Patrol, Cool Hunting and Rémy Martin®, and anyone acting on their behalf as well as their successors and assigns, will have the right, where permitted by law, without any further notice, review or consent to print, publish, broadcast, distribute and use, in any media now known or hereafter devised , in perpetuity and throughout the World without compensation, Your application, including, without limitation, the entry and your name, picture, likeness, image, biographical information (excluding information obtained solely for investigational or medical purposes), voice, and/or statements about the #LIVETHEM™ Award as news, publicity or information and for trade, advertising, public relations or promotional purposes in connection with the #LIVETHEM Award.
8. Termination. The Award Team reserves the right to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the 2016 #LIVETHEM™ Award program, at any point, in its sole discretion, should a virus, bugs, non-authorized human intervention, fraud or other causes beyond its control corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness or proper conduct of the program. In the unlikely event of this occurs, the Team may opt to select an applicant from among the eligible applications received before the cancellation action if it deems such action appropriate under the circumstances, in its sole discretion.
9. Disqualification. The Award Team reserves the right at its sole discretion to disqualify any individual who tampers or attempts to tamper with the entry process or the operation of the #LIVETHEM™ Award program or website, or violates these Terms & Conditions. Disqualifying actions include, but are not limited to an individual submitting multiple applications, under different names, whether from different computers or different IP addresses. The Award Team further reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to disqualify any individual who submits false, misleading, inflammatory, offensive or other inappropriate information or content in connection with any aspect of the #LIVETHEM Award program.
10. Limitation of Liability. By participating in the #LIVETHEM Award Program, You agree to release and hold harmless Rémy Martin®, Gear Patrol and Cool Hunting, and their respective subsidiaries, affiliates, advertising and promotion agencies, partners, representatives, agents, successors, assigns, employees, officers and directors from any liability, loss, litigation, claim or damage that may occur, directly or indirectly, whether caused by negligence or not, from Your submission(s) (or attempted submission(s)) resulting in technical malfunctions of any kind, including but not limited to, the unavailability or inaccessibility of any transmissions or Internet service, unauthorized human intervention in any part of the submission process, electronic errors in the administration of the Program.
11. Disputes. The #LIVETHEM Award Program shall be governed by the laws of the State of New York without respect to its conflict of law doctrines. You agree that any and all disputes which cannot be resolved informally between us, and any claims or causes of action You might assert that arising out of or are connected with the #LIVETHEM Award shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, exclusively before a court located in New York County having jurisdiction. Additionally, in any such dispute, under no circumstances will you be permitted to obtain any award for, and you hereby waive all rights to claim, punitive, incidental, consequential or enhanced damages, and to attorney's fees.
12. ENTIRE AGREEMENT. These Terms & Conditions constitute the entire understanding between You and the Gear Patrol, Cool Hunting and Rémy Martin® regarding your participation in the 2016 #LIVETHEM Award competition.
13. ACKNOWLEDGEMENT AND ACCEPTANCE. By submitting Your proposal You acknowledge and agree that no other terms or understandings apply except as may be subsequently executed, in writing, consistent with these Terms & Conditions. By submitting your application You represent and warrant that you meet all eligibility requirements; that, to your knowledge, you are healthy enough to participate in all activities proposed in Your submission; and You agree to be fully and unconditionally bound by these Terms & Conditions.
TERMS & CONDITIONS for the 2016 #LIVETHEM Award