On N. Sunnyview Drive between Simms and Molina Roads, architects Donald Wexler and Ric Harrison envisioned a subdivision of innovative prefabricated steel homes impervious to the desert elements. Due to rising costs, only seven were built, each in their own way emblematic of Palm Springs style.
In the late 1940’s famed architect Richard Neutra built the Kaufmann house (470 W. Vista Chino) for the department store magnate who commissioned Frank Lloyd Wright to design Fallingwater. In the 1950s, the firm of Palmer and Krisel designed butterfly roof homes including “The House of Tomorrow” (1350 Ladera Circle) where Elvis and Priscilla Presley honeymooned. The neighborhood also features residences owned by Marilyn Monroe (1326 N. Rose) and Liberace (1441 N Kaweah Rd.)
Developed in the 1930s, this opulent neighborhood was populated by Hollywood luminaries including Cary Grant, Tony Curtis and silent film star Gloria Swanson. Home to lavish Spanish Colonial Revival compounds, this neighborhood is also famed for the midcentury modern designs of architects William Cody, Donald Wexler and E. Stewart Williams, who designed Frank Sinatra’s Twin Palms (1145 E Via Colusa).