• In Western Europe, a few cities, such as Athens, Madrid and Paris, have witnessed a decline in
personal safety due to past terror attacks and/or internal instabilities.
Mercer’s Quality of Living research assists multinational organizations to compensate employees fairly when placing them on international assignments. The ranking includes the following criteria: relationship with other countries, internal stability, crime levels, law enforcement, limitations on personal freedom and the freedom of the press.
• In Asia, most Chinese cities improved with regard to personal safety.
Personal Safety — 10-Year Trends
2019 Quality of Living Ranking
• Many cities in Central and Eastern Europe, such as Prague, Vilnius, Warsaw, Sarajevo, Zagreb and
Belgrade, among others, have seen a steady improvement in personal safety.
• In North America, most locations have seen a decline in personal safety.
• In the Middle East, the United Arab Emirates has seen a steady improvement in personal safety.