Also known as the Joseph Caruso house, this typical early center-chimney Cape Cod house was built by William Harris, one of the first settlers in the frontier town of Brattleboro.
The Red House, 1804, Indiana
A UNESCO World Heritage Site and still inhabited today, Taos Pueblo was built 700-1000
years ago with adobe brick by the Taos people and is home to 150 residents.
Old Mormon Fort, 1855, Nevada
Though no one knows for sure, it’s believed that this structure was
built by French-Canadian explorer Pierre Le Moyne d'Iberville.
Pink House, 1694, South Carolina
Kittson Trading Post, 1843, North Dakota
Nothnagle Cabin, 1638, New Jersey
Old Trinity Church, 1675, Maryland
The Old House, 1649, New York
Old Spanish Fort, 1718, Mississippi
Once part of a 25-acre homestead, the Richard Jackson House has a noticeably
American style, with the use of wood and large spaces.
Fort Mackinac Officers’ Quarters, 1780, Michigan
Jamestown Church, 1639, Virginia
Lafitte’s Blacksmith Shop, 1722, Louisiana
Lower Swedish Cabin, 1640, Pennsylvania
Henry Whitfield State Museum, Connecticut, 1639
Once an important fur trading post, Fort Laramie sits at one of the best crossing points
on the Oregon Trail and is now preserved by the National Parks Service.
This log cabin originally housed a settler family in Dubuque, but has since been moved
twice to settle at its current location on the Mathias Ham House estate.
French fortification Fort de Chartres was built to defend against the local Meskwaki people, and while largely reconstructed, its original powder magazine buildings still stand.
This is one of the oldest examples of a colonial guard house, built by English
settlers to protect from Native American and French attacks.
Fielding Garr Ranch, 1848, Utah
French features like the hip roof are clues to this house’s origins; it was built for
French-Canadian settlers and remained in the same family until the 1940s.
Mission San Xavier del Bac, 1783-1797, Arizona
Built in 1808 and restored in 2007, the log cabin was moved from its original location in Ardmore to Burritt on the Mountain and is now listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Site of the famous Battle of the Alamo, the Alamo Mission was originally intended to be a place of Christian education for local Native Americans. It later garrisoned both Mexican and Texan soldiers.
Woodruff Print Shop, 1824, Arkansas
This building housed the officers of the New Mexico Volunteers, tasked
with protecting settlers in the San Luis Valley.
Horton House, 1743, Georgia
This cabin predates the famous Lewis and Clark Expedition and is thought to be
the work of Russian settlers, sent to the Willamette Valley by Catherine the Great.
The Rookery, Fort Leavenworth, 1827, Kansas
This historic estate, once owned by the sister of William Clark, is the only site west
of the Appalachians to have sheltered the famous Lewis and Clark expedition.
Fort Gibson, 1840, Oklahoma
Designated a ‘national treasure’ by the National Trust for Historic Preservation,
Fort Snelling was set up to enforce law and order following the War of 1812.
Mission San Juan Capistrano, 1776, California
This house was originally a one-story colonial structure, with the
half story added on in 19th century.
Old Stone House, 1765, Washington, DC
Old Fort Benton Blockhouse, 1844, Montana
Constructed for Puritan Jonathan Fairbanks and his family, this is the oldest
timber-frame house verified by dendrochronology in the US.
Carter Mansion, 1775, Tennessee
Mesa Verde Cliff Palace, 1190, Colorado
The Magazin, now the Baranov Museum, dates from the Russian colonization of Alaska, when it was used as a storage facility for the Russian - American Company.
The oldest building in every U.S. State
Ka Hale La'au, meaning the ‘wood house,’ was a pre-cut wooden frame structure designed in New England with little consideration for the Hawaiian climate, but nonetheless housed missionaries for about 60 years.
Originally a private residence, this distinctive red, timber building was converted into
a tavern in 1673 and has also held the Rhode Island General Assembly.
This two-story structure dates from the time of the last Governor of New Sweden, Johan Risingh, who ordered its construction to defend against attacks.
Cataldo Mission, 1850, Idaho
Wakely Home has a classic wooden-frame symmetrical construction and was built
for a family of pioneers, who came from New York and were in the lumber business.
The cabin was built as a trappers’ residence in the Missouri floodplains and was later
moved in 1850 to Bellevue, where it continued as a family home until the 1950s.
Aspen Hall, 1750, West Virginia
Fort Sisseton, now a State Historical Park, was constructed under the orders of
Major General Pope to protect settlers and surveyors moving into the territory.
The historically significant granary is one of the few surviving Hudson’s Bay Company structures in the US, and also an example of a rare post-on-sill timber construction.
Castillo de San Marcos, 1672, Florida
Brought to you by Enova / NetCredit
Most famous as the home of the Military Connections Complex, Fort Leavenworth also hosts Kansas’s oldest building, the Rookery, built as bachelor officer quarters and later used as the office of Governor Andrew Reeder.
Old Bedlam House, Fort Laramie, 1849, Wyoming
Louis Arriandeaux Log House, 1827, Iowa
Fort de Chartres, 1720, Illinois
This old church was constructed by English settlers on an 85-acre plot and contains a number of typically English features, including its West Gallery and the coat of arms of Maryland’s benefactor, Queen Anne.
Built as part of the New Sweden colony, this is an interesting example of a Scandinavian
log house and was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1980.
Built at the request of members of the Nez Perce and Flathead tribes, the Cataldo Mission was constructed using an old wattle and daub method – without using a single nail.
McIntire Garrison House, 1707, Maine
DC’s oldest structure on its original foundation and an example of pre-Revolutionary architecture, this house was preserved accidentally due to fuzzy memory.
Fort Garland Officers’ Quarters, 1858, Colorado
Alamo Mission, 1718, Texas
Joel Eddins House, Alabama, 1808
Although predated by a carpenter's shed, the Old House is the earliest
standing example of a colonial house in New York State.
Louis Bolduc House, 1798, Missouri
Mormon missionaries established this adobe-brick fort at the midpoint between
Salt Lake City and Los Angeles, but abandoned it in the Utah War.
This old church has been amended or rebuilt six times. While the tower
dates back to 1639, the nave was reconstructed in 1906.
Built in French Colonial style, it’s said that this building was used by privateers
Jean and Pierre Lafitte as a cover for their illegal smuggling activities.
Old Stone Fort, 1679, Ohio
Considered one of the best examples of Spanish colonial architecture in the U.S., the complex is still in the hands of the Franciscan Order and is a popular pilgrimage site.
Taos Pueblo, 13th-14th centuries, New Mexico
William Harris House, 1768, Vermont
One of Indiana’s four original legislative centers, the building was used for meetings
in 1811 and is now on display at the Indiana Territory State Historic Site.
The first house in Tennessee to have glass windows, the Carter
Mansion was built for settler and legislator John Carter.
The largest dwelling in Mesa Verde, Cliff Palace was home to an estimated 100
Pueblo people and thought to have been used often in ceremonies.
This is all that remains of the old fortress, which was once the final outpost of
the Mullan Road and the Upper Missouri fur trading route.
The American Fur Company’s agent Norman Kittson established this trading post to
take advantage of the local Red River Valley’s prosperous fur trade.
The Woodruff Print Shop was the business premises of William Woodruff, who printed Arkansas’ first newspaper, and is now part of the Historic Arkansas Museum.
Richard Jackson House, 1664, New Hampshire
This substantial stone building is part of the wider Fort Mackinac complex and housed
British soldiers during the American War of Independence.
This Georgian-style stone house was once part of a fortified complex, and though it was used as a hospital during the Civil War, it’s since been turned into a bed and breakfast.
This defensive fort was ordered by Florida’s Spanish Governor to defend the
city of St Augustine at a time when it was still part of the Spanish Empire.
Molalla Log House, 1799, Oregon
Ka Hale Lāʻau, 1821, Hawaii
Old Stone House is DC's oldest structure on its original foundation and
serves as an example of pre-Revolutionary architecture.
Russian - American Company Magazin/Erskine House, 1808, Alaska
Fairbanks House, 1637, Massachusetts
New England’s oldest stone house was built for Reverend Henry Whitfield, the leader of an English Puritan community and the founder of Guilford. It’s been a museum since 1904.
White Horse Tavern, 1673, Rhode Island
Fort Sisseton, 1864, South Dakota
Fort Nisqually Granary, 1843, Washington
Mormon pioneers established this ranch with adobe construction on
Antelope Island, where it continued to be a Garr family home until the 1980s.
A reminder of the state’s colonial history, this house was built by British military aide Major William
Horton and is constructed of tabby, a unique concrete that was common in Georgia.
The Block House, 1654, Delaware
Wakely Home, 1842, Wisconsin
Bellevue Log Cabin, 1835, Nebraska
Fort Snelling Round Tower, 1819, Minnesota
These barracks are the oldest structure in Fort Gibson, a significant outpost
that served as a final stopping point on the infamous Trail of Tears.
This log cabin was built by Finnish settlers with close-fitting oak logs
and was lived in until 1918.
Locust Grove, 1790, Kentucky
The Mission was founded by Franciscans from Spain and has since been used as a backdrop for early Hollywood films like The Two Brothers.
The Old Spanish Fort draws its name from a spell as the fortified residence of a
Spanish soldier, but it in fact began life as an indigo and wax myrtle plantation.
Pink Bermuda stone gives a distinctive appearance to this house, which
has also been a tavern and, most recently, an art gallery.
Lane House, 1718, North Carolina