1. In the bottom of a very large, deep glass bowl, spoon one dollop of chilled custard.
2. Spread preserves on both sides of the first layer of cake. Put the first layer of cake in the bottom of the bowl on top of the custard. Cover cake with pineapple, strawberries,
blackberries and raspberries. Spoon lemon curd over berries, covering the perimeter.
3. Cover with custard and whipped cream and add next piece of cake with preserves,
repeating the layers of fruit, lemon curd, custard and whipped cream until fourth piece
of cake is topped.
4. Spread remaining cooled custard over the top of the cake. Pour sherry over entire
trifle. Top with whipped cream and toasted almonds and garnish with berries. Chill 2 hours before serving. Enjoy!
1 (9-inch) angel food or sponge cake,
sliced horizontally into four pieces
1 cup seeded raspberry jam
2 cups custard (recipe below)
2 cups lemon curd (recipe below)
4 ounces fresh blackberries
4 ounces fresh raspberries
4 strawberries, quartered
4 ounces drained crushed pineapple
1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted
2 cups whipped cream (recipe below)
1 quart whole milk, warm
1 cup granulated sugar
4 teaspoons all-purpose flour
6 large organic eggs, room temperature
2 teaspoons high quality pure vanilla extract
1. In the bowl of an electric mixer whisk eggs on medium speed until frothy.
2. In a medium bowl combine the sugar and flour, stirring well. Gradually add to egg
mixture beating until thick. Slowly incorporate hot milk into egg mixture, stirring constantly.
3. In a double boiler, bring water to a boil. Reduce heat to low. Place egg mixture into a medium saucepan and cook. Stirring constantly for 20-30 minutes or until custard thickens and coats spoon.
4. Stir in vanilla. Remove to large bowl, cover and refrigerate.
6 large organic eggs
6 egg yolks
3 cups granulated sugar
5 1/2 ounces lemon juice
2 lemons, zested
1 1/4 cups butter, cut into piece
LEMON CURD INGREDIENTS:
1. In a small saucepan, whisk eggs, yolks, and sugar together over medium heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon.
2. Add butter and stir mixture until thick, about 20 minutes.
3. Transfer mixture to a medium bowl, covering surface of the curd with plastic wrap to avoid a skin from forming. Refrigerate until firm, at least 1 hour.
LEMON CURD PREPARATION:
8 cups heavy whipping cream, cold
1 cup confectioners' sugar
1 teaspoon pure almond extract
WHIPPED CREAM INGREDIENTS:
1. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, whisk the heavy whipping cream and confectioners' sugar until soft peaks form.
2. Add almond extract and continue to whisk until peaks are stiff. Remove to large bowl, cover and refrigerate.
WHIPPED CREAM PREPARATION: